April 15, 2010

How do I join up?

A few people have been asking me how they join the book club.  Therefore in this post I'm going to try and clarify how you can use the book club.

Of the people who I know are currently using the book club, they could be grouped into three broad categories.
 
Today’s member
How do I get started?
Pick one of the current titles and keep up each week. 
 
How do I know what parts of the book to read?
At the beginning of each post you are told what section of the book has been read and is being commented on that week.  The section to be read for the following week is included at the end of the post.
 
The easiest way to keep up with the new posts about the book is by subscribing by email or RSS feed.  You can do this through the sidebar at the right of the blog.  You can also signup to receive comments from other members of the club.
 
How do I share my thoughts?
If you would like to share with others what you thought of that week's book section, click the comments section at the bottom of the post and write about what grabbed you.
 
Vintage member
How do I get started?
Pick one of the titles that has already been completed and read along at your own pace.  For example you could complete one reading a week, a day or even faster.
 
How do I know what parts of the book to read?
At the beginning of each post you are told what section of the book is being commented on in that post.  After you have read the book section you can read what I have written about in the blog.
 
To find all the posts for a completed book, click the link for the title under the ‘Previous and current titles’ section on the sidebar of the blog.
 
How do I share my thoughts?
If you would like to share with others what you thought of the book section, click the comments section at the bottom of the post and write about what grabbed you.
 
Even though the club has moved on from that title, people who are subscribed to comments will still see your thoughts.  And people who read that title in the future will probably read what you have written too.
 
Casual member
How do I get started?
You simply cruise around the website, not reading the books but reading the blog posts.
 
You may even wish to subscribe to the site feed and read new posts as they come through.

How do I share my thoughts?
Even if you haven’t read the book section, you may wish to make some comment about what I or others have said.  Know that you are welcome to do so.

No comments: