September 4, 2009

Mystery of Providence - Flavel - III - Chapter 2

Required reading
Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (available from Amazon or free on the internet, here for example) - Chapter 2.

My notes and thoughts
Flavel now gives us a chapter on how God's providential care is shown in our birth and upbringing.  He speaks of God's care in embroidering us in our mother's womb without gross deformity; of God's care that we were born in a time and place where our physical needs are provided for and where the gospel may be found; and finally of God's care to give many of us a Christian home to grow up in. 
As one of those blessed with Godly parents who taught me from a young age to love the Lord,  Flavel's words were striking: 'Ah, sirs, you little know what a mercy you enjoy or have enjoyed in godly parents and what a good lot Providence cast for you in this affair of your bodies and souls.'  How true is he to say: 'It is a greater mercy to descend from praying parents than from the loins of nobles.'  I really should be more thankful to God for my parents.
I must admit I found his words about miscarriages disappointing: 'Abortives go for nothing in the world, and there are multitudes of them.  Some never had a reasonable soul breathed into them, but only rudiments and rough draft of a body; these come not into the account of men, but perish as the beast does.Sorry Mr Flavel, but I have to disagree with you there.  I believe human life begins at conception.
Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: