Only a prayer meeting by Charles Spurgeon (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the chapter entitled 'Fighting and praying'.
Spurgeon teaches us that there are two kinds of service for the Lord: Joshua and Moses service.
Joshua service is:
(i) service of many;
(ii) all combatants as under due command;
(iii) courage;
(iv) not growing weary;
(v) success.
Moses service:
(i) was essential to the battle;
(ii) was of a very special character;
(iii) lay in very close communion with God;
(iv) was a terrible strain upon the one man who led the others in it;
(v) was very precious.
I loved this chapter!
Spurgeon demonstrated nicely the importance of both kinds of labour for the Lord: 'The prayer-meeting must be maintained at all cost. The communion of the church with God must never be broken. If you visit a factory, you may see thousands of wheels revolving, and a host of hands employed. It is a wonderful sight. Where is the power that keeps all this running? Look at that slated shed! Come into this grimy place, smelling of oil. What is it? It is the engine-house. You do not think much of it, but that is the centre of power. If you stop that engine, every wheel will stand still. Some good people say, "I am not going out to-night. It is only a prayer-meeting." Just so. It is only the engine, but that is everything. Go on board a great ocean steamer, bound for New York. You say, " I have been in the saloon. I have seen the wonderful luxuries provided for the passengers. It is a marvellous vessel." Did you look at her engines? " What! go down that ladder? I saw some black fellows below, stoking great fires; but I did not care for that." Talk not so. If it were not for those sooty stokers, the grand saloon and the fine decks would be of no use. Prayer is the engine of the Church; it supplies the force. I like to see the engines going,—praying, praying, praying, praying! Then the hidden screw, down under water, drives the huge ship, and causes it to speed towards the appointed haven. Keep the Moses part of the work going; and let not the Joshua-work be slack.'
So true. We need to labour in both Joshua service and Moses service if we are to see success in the Lord's work.
Next week's reading
Read the chapter entitled 'Another spiritual honey-drop'.
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment