January 31, 2013

Only a prayer meeting - Spurgeon - XII - 'The three "thens" of Isaiah's temple vision'

--> Required reading
Only a prayer meeting by Charles Spurgeon (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the chapter entitled 'The three "thens" of Isaiah's temple vision'.

My summary
Today Spurgeon teaches us about more 'thens'. 

This time the 'thens' are from Isaiah's vision of God in Isaiah 6:1-8.

Spurgeon gives us a nice summary of his 'thens' at the end of the chapter: 'These are the three " thens ": " then," when I had seen God, I said, " I am undone;" " then," when I felt I was undone, the seraph brought the burning coal, and touched my lip; and when that lip was touched, and I was purged, " then " I said, " Here am I; send me." May this be a word in season to many! Then will they be blessed, then will we rejoice together, and then will God be glorified.'

What grabbed me
I liked Spurgeon's honesty about his sinfulness: 'I will not judge all of my brethren, but I will make this confession for myself, that if I examine the best day I have ever spent, and the holiest hour I have ever lived, I can see, even with my poor, weak eyes, enough of sin in my holiest things to make me cry, " Woe is me! for I am undone." The best sermon I have ever preached is a sure proof to me that my lips are unclean; for, when I come to examine it with care, I discover in it a thousand defects.'

If we're honest, we must admit this is true of us too.

Next week's reading

Read the chapters entitled 'Pruning the vines' and 'Write the name of Jesus on all your crosses'.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: