February 3, 2017

Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Vol I of the Works - XXIV - Chapter 24

Required reading
Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Volume I of the Works by Jonathan Edwards (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Chapter 24.

My summary.
Today's chapter is filled with death.  

We hear about the passing away of:
(i) Aaron Burr (Edwards' son in law and president of Princeton);
(ii) Edwards' father;
(iii) Jonathan Edwards' death (after his acceptance of the presidency at Princeton, he received a small pox inoculation which was unsuccessful);
(iv) Esther Edwards (Mrs Burr);
(v) Sarah Edwards (she died of dysentery, after her trip to look after the Burr orphans).

What grabbed me
Grim reading today, but it was encouraging to see many good Christian responses to death.

I was particularly impressed with Sarah Edwards' letter to her daughter, Mrs Burr, about the death of Jonathan Edwards:

'My very dear child, What shall I say? A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands on our mouths! The Lord has done it. He has made me adore his goodness, that we had him so long. But my God lives: and he has my heart. O what a legacy my husband, and your father, has left us! We are all given to God; and there I am, and love to be.'

Thankfully, our Heavenly Father never dies.

Next week's reading
Read Chapter 25.


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: