March 10, 2017

Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Vol I of the Works - XXVI - A farewell sermon

Required reading
Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Volume I of the Works by Jonathan Edwards (Available from Amazon or free here)Read A Farewell Sermon.

My summary.
This week we read Edwards' farewell sermon which he preached at the end of his ministry at Northampton.

In the preface Edwards seeks to correct some gross misrepresentations about the circumstances leading to his farewell sermon.

The sermon itself is on 'As also ye have acknowledged us in part, that we are your rejoicing, even as ye also are ours in the day of the Lord Jesus.' (2 Corinthians 1:14)

Edwards' doctrine is that ministers, and the people that have been under their care, must meet one another before Christ's tribunal at the day of judgement.  He seeks to show:
(i) what manner ministers shall meet one another at the day of judgement;
(ii) for what purposes;
(iii) for what reasons God has so ordered it.

In his application, Edwards speaks to:
(i) professors of godliness;
(ii) the Christless;
(iii) those under awakenings;
(iv) young people;
(v) children.

What grabbed me
A very interesting sermon given the circumstances.

I particularly liked the message Edwards had for the Christless: 'You and I are now parting one from another as to this world. Let us labour that we may not be parted after our meeting at the last day. If I have been your faithful pastor (which will that day appear whether I have or no), then I shall be acquitted, and shall ascend with Christ. O do your part that in such a case, you may not be forced eternally to part from me, and all that have been faithful in Christ Jesus. This is a sorrowful parting, but that would be a more sorrowful.—This you may perhaps bear without being much affected with it, if you are not glad of it, but such a parting in that day will most deeply, sensibly, and dreadfully affect you.'

There is a far greater parting between believers and unbelievers yet to come.

Next week's reading
Read Appendix I, II and III.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: