March 30, 2017

The Christian in Complete Armour - Gurnall - XXIV - Direction Fifth continued

Required reading
The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall (Available from Amazon or free here) - Commence the Second Use of Division First of Second General Part of Direction Fifth by reading up to 'Directions to those who, upon trial, are found insincere and false-hearted'.

My summary
Today Gurnall exhorts everyone to see whether they are sincere or not.

Firstly, Gurnall raises some arguments for such a self examination:
(i) all depends on it;
(ii) hypocrisy lies close to the heart;
(iii) it is feasible.

Secondly, Gurnall gives four false grounds of a hypocrite's profession.  False ground may be seen when a hypocrite says I am not a hypocrite because:
(i) I cannot endure it in another;
(ii) I am bold and fearless in dangers;
(iii) I perform secret duties;
(iv) I fight against sin.

Thirdly, Gurnall shows the false grounds of the weak Christian's fears of being a hypocrite.  False ground may be seen when a Christian says I am a hypocrite:
(i) or else I should not be as I am;
(ii) because of such decays and declensions found in me;
(iii) because i have such a divided heart in the duties I perform;
(iv) because I have sometimes inward checks from my own conscience that this duty I did hypocritically.

Fourthly, Gurnall observes four characters of a true heart - it is:
(i) a new heart;
(ii) a plain heart;
(iii) a uniform heart;
(iv) a progressive heart.

What grabbed me
A great reading for self-examination!

I liked the encouragement to look for a progressive heart if we have a true heart: 'The sincere Christian is progressive—never at his journey's end till he gets to heaven. This keeps him always in motion, advancing in his desires and endeavours forward; he is thankful for little grace, but not content with great measures of grace. 'When I awake,' saith David, 'I shall be satisfied with thy likeness,' Ps. 17:15. He had many a sweet entertainment at the house of God in his ordinances. The Spirit of God was the messenger that brought him many a covered dish from God's table—inward consolations, which the world knew not of. Yet David has not enough. It is heaven alone that can give him his full draught.'

May our hearts never have enough of the LORD!

Next week's reading
Conclude the Second Use of Division First of Second General Part of Direction Fifth.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.










No comments: