December 19, 2009

All of grace - Spurgeon - IV - Chapter 7 and 8

Required reading
All of grace by C. H. Spurgeon (available from Amazon or free on the internet, here for example) - Read Chapters 7 and 8.

My summary
In Chapter Seven Spurgeon shows that salvation is by grace through faith: 'Faith occupies the position of a channel or conduit pipe.  Grace is the fountain and the stream.  Faith is the aqueduct along which the flood of mercy flows down to refresh the thirsty sons of men.'
Then in Chapter Eight Spurgeon discusses what precisely is faith: 'It is made up of three things-knowledge, belief and trust.'

What grabbed me
I appreciated Spurgeon's reverence towards the task of defining faith: 'What is this faith concerning which it is said, "By grace are ye saved, through faith" (Ephesians 2:8)?  There are many descriptions of faith, but almost all the definitions I have heard have made me understand it less than I did before I saw them.  Someone said when he read the chapter that he would confound it.  It is very likely that he did so, though he meant to expound it.  We may explain faith till nobody understands it.  I hope I will not be guilty of that fault.'  I think we always need to be suspicious of whether we are confounding doctrine when are supposed to be expounding it. 


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: