December 23, 2012

Making many glad - Baker - XV - Chapter 10 (Labours as an evangelist - pastorate at Holly Springs) commenced

--> Required reading
Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) - Commence Chapter 10 (Labours as an evangelist - pastorate at Holly Springs) by reading up to the paragraph commencing 'One who was at this time an elder in Dr. Edgar's church, thus speaks, after the death of Dr. Baker, in regard to the meeting alluded to.'

My summary
Today we read quite a bit about Baker's family life.

Firstly we read about his youngest daughter - her excited greeting when he arrived home from Texas, her trust in the Lord and sudden death.

Then we read some more letters to Baker's older daughter, which have a strong spiritual focus.

Next some comments are given about Baker's warm attachments to everyone, even to the point of overlooking serious flaws.

Then we hear about his happy temperament and study habits.

There is also a defense of his role as husband and father with such a busy preaching schedule.

Then we are given excerpts from a journal Baker kept during this period of his life which give an account of his preaching, including to children, young adults and blacks.

The reading then finishes with Baker's settling in Holly Springs in his own house.

What grabbed me
I continue to be touched by Baker's letters to his daughter: 'I hope, my daughter, your health is good. Take care of it, my child, for your old father's sake. You are now my only rose. Your sister, your precious little sister, has been snatched from my sight, and I must see her no more until I go to heaven. There I hope to see her crowned, and in her Saviour's bosom. O, my beloved Agnes, your father still weeps at the remembrance of thee! But it is all right; still will I say, 'The Lord gave; the Lord hath taken away; and blessed be the name of the Lord.' — 'Melissa, didn't you know that I am going to die to-night? 'O, well, my dear, if you die to-night, the blessed Jesus will take you right straight to heaven.' 'Well!' — This I have thought upon a great many times; it has given me great consolation. Has Melissa been rewarded for mentioning the sweet name of Jesus to my dying child? At any rate, do get a silver dollar, and give her for me, with my thanks. Be sure to comfort your dear afflicted mother, and tell her to cast all her burdens upon the Lord. Remember me very kindly, &c. " Your ever affectionate father,  Daniel Baker.'

He certainly loved his children deeply.

Next week's reading
Continue Chapter 10 (Labours as an evangelist - pastorate at Holly Springs) by reading up to the paragraph commencing 'During almost the whole of Dr. Baker's residence in Holly Springs, two of his were at Princeton, prosecuting their studies for the ministry.'


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: