February 10, 2013

Making many glad - Baker - XXII - Chapter 12 (Founding of Austin College - Labours as an evangelist, and as an agent of the college) continued

Required reading
Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) -  Continue Chapter 12 (Founding of Austin College - Labours as an evangelist, and as an agent of the college) by reading up to the paragraph beginning 'During this, as during all his absences, Dr. Baker seized every opportunity to write to his family, extracts from which letters are inserted in their order.'

My summary
Today's reading opens with a letter from Baker to students at Princeton Seminary exhorting them to consider ministering in Texas.

We then hear about Baker's sailing to Brownsville where he has a ministry among Roman Catholic Mexicans.

Baker then travels back on a very perilous voyage.

Then resumption of planting the college continues with a site fixed for its location.

What grabbed me
Baker's sea voyage was riveting reading. 

I appreciated hearing about his confidence through it: '"Never, in all my life," he afterwards remarked to the writer, "did I feel more perfectly calm than when I expected each plunge of the vessel would be to the bottom. I was enabled by prayer to acquiesce entirely in the will of God. Was I not in the path of duty?"'

This man certainly believed in the sovereignty of God.

Next week's reading
Conclude Chapter 12 (Founding of Austin College - Labours as an evangelist, and as an agent of the college).

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: