December 30, 2016

Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Vol I of the Works - XIX - Chapter 19

Required reading
Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards in Volume I of the Works by Jonathan Edwards (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Chapter 19.

My summary.

This week Edwards moves to Stockbridge.

We hear about:
(i) the call to Edwards from the church in Stockbridge and the missionary society;
(ii) the history of the church in Stockbridge;
(iii) the schooling of Indian children at Stockbridge;
(iv) revival in other areas;
(v) reasons for Edwards' break with the Northampton congregation (according to Edwards, pride appears to be the primary reason);
(vi) Edwards' move to Stockbridge (including finding suitable accommodation for his family).

What grabbed me
I was helped by Edwards' introspection for why he was dismissed from Northampton: 'And here I desire it may be observed, that I would be far from so laying all the blame of the sorrowful things, that have come to pass, to the people, as to suppose that I have no cause of self-reflection and humiliation before God, on this occasion. I am sensible that it becomes me to look on what has lately happened, as an awful frown of heaven on me, as well as on the people. God knows the sinfulness of my heart, and the great and sinful deficiencies and offences; which I have been guilty of, in the course of my ministry at Northampton. I desire that God would discover them to me more and more, and that now he would effectually humble me, and mortify my pride and self-confidence, and empty me entirely of myself, and make me to know how that I deserve to be cast away, as an abominable branch, and as a vessel wherein is no pleasure; and, if it may consist with his holy will, that he would sanctify me, and make me a vessel more meet for my Master's use; and yet improve me as an instrument of his glory, and the good of the souls of mankind.'

In conflict, it is easy to lay the blame at the feet of others.  But we should also examine ourselves for unrepentant sin.

Next week's reading
Read Chapter 20.


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: