November 1, 2018

The Christian in Complete Armour - Gurnall - LXXXII - Direction Twelfth continued

Required readingThe Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall (Available from Amazon or free here) - Continue Direction Twelfth by concluding Branch Third and reading the Second and Third Observable.


My summary
Today we plough on with the twelfth direction: "And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." (Eph. 6:19-20)

Last week we started Gurnall's observables on what is meant by 'that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel.'  The observables are:
(i) the sublime nature of the gospel - it is 'a mystery';
(ii) wherein lies the work of a gospel minister - 'to make known the mystery of the gospel';
(iii) the manner how he is to perform this work - 'that I may open my mouth boldly'.

So this week we look at the second and third observables.

The second observable is the minister's duty to make known the ministry of the gospel.  This is because:
(i) the gospel alone can save a soul and this only when known;
(ii) the gospel itself saves not, except it be made known.

The third observable is the manner how the gospel minister is to perform the work: 'that I may open my mouth boldly'.  Gurnall unpacks
(i) what the boldness is the apostle desires prayers for;
(ii) wherein the minister is to express this boldness in preaching the gospel;
(iii) what kind of boldness it is that he must show ;
(iv) some helps to procure boldness.

What grabbed me

I liked this encouragement to ministers: '[If the gospel is mysterious] It affords a word of sweet encouragement to the faithful ministers of Christ. Haply you have been long at work for Christ, and see little fruit of your labours; your strength is even spent, and candle almost at the socket of old age; but your people are still carnal and obstinate, no sun will tan them, no arguments move them, filthy they are, and so will continue; to hell they will go, no gate can stop them; thou hast done thy utmost to reclaim them, but all in vain. This is sad indeed—to them, I mean—thus to go to hell by broad daylight, while the gospel shows the whither every step of their sinful course leads them. But thou hast cause of much inward peace and comfort, that thou hast done what God expects at thy hands. Remember thy work is, 'To make known the mystery of the gospel,' and upon their peril be it if they embrace it not. God never laid it upon thee to convert those he sends thee to. No; to publish the gospel is thy duty, to receive it is theirs. Abraham promiseth to discharge his servant of his oath, if the woman which he was to woo for his son would not follow him; and so will God clear thee of their blood, and lay it at their own door. 'If thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness,...he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul,' Eze. 3:19. God judgeth not of his servants' work by the success of their labour, but by their faithfulness to deliver his message. 'Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord,' Isa. 49:5.'

If the gospel is mysterious, I shouldn't be surprised if people don't get it despite my best efforts to declare it.

Next week's reading
Conclude Direction Twelfth by reading Branch Fourth.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: