October 22, 2020

Dogmatic Theology Vol 3 - Shedd - I - Preface and Theological Introduction

 Required reading  

Dogmatic Theology Vol 3 by William G.T. Shedd (Available from Amazon or here) - Read Preface and Theological Introduction.


My summary  
Today we begin a new volume in Shedd's Dogmatic Theology three volume set which is a supplementary volume to earlier volumes.  It primarily consists of selected citations from other author's works.

This week's reading is on theological introductions and source of knowledge.  It contains quotes not just from church fathers and Puritans like Baxter, but also pagans such as Plato and Cicero.

What grabbed me
I liked the prayer from Baxter: 'O you that freely gave me your grace, maintain it to the last against its enemies, and make it finally victorious. O let it not fail and be conquered by blind and base carnality or by the temptations of a hellish enemy; without it I had lived as a beast, and without it I should die more miserably than a beast. My God, I have often sinned against you; but yet you know I would fain be yours. I have not served you with the resolution, fidelity, and delight as such a master should have been served, but yet I would not forsake your service nor change my master or my work. I have not loved you as infinite goodness, and love itself and fatherly bounty should have been loved, but yet I would not forsake your family. Forsake not, then, a sinner that would not forsake you, that looks every hour toward you, that feels it as a piece of hell to be so dark and strange unto you.'

Forsake me not!

Next week's reading    

Commence Bibliology by reading up to the paragraph beginning 'VOL. I., p.85. The fact that inspiration... (page 50 of my edition).


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: