July 26, 2009

Precious remedies against Satan's devices - Brooks - I - Biography, epistle dedicatory, word to the reader

Required reading
Today we begin our second book in the club, Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks.  I'll be following the Banner of Truth edition which is available from Amazon, although at least one older edition is available free from Google books.  Today's reading is the Banner of Truth brief biography and Brook's 'Epistle dedicatory' and 'A word to the reader'.

My notes and thoughts
Biography. Interesting point: 'We may judge that much of the success of Brooks' ministry assuredly resulted from his wife's support of him in prayer.  Let Puritan wives be given their due; assuredly the 'price' of some of them was 'above rubies''.  Each day I grow ever more thankful for the godly wife I have been blessed with.

Epistle dedicatory. Brooks informs us at the beginning that there are 'four prime things that should be first and most studied and searched.'  They are: 'Christ, the Scripture, your own hearts, and Satan's devices.'  I'm have a feeling that this book is set forth as an example of such study.

Word to the reader.  One of Brooks' four points of counsel in this section struck me - serious meditation is profitable, not hasty reading: 'It is not he that reads most but he that meditates most, that will prove the choices, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian.'  I do have a tendency to read books quickly without due meditation.

No comments: