December 21, 2009

All of grace - Spurgeon - VI - Chapter 10

Required reading
All of grace by C. H. Spurgeon (available from Amazon or free on the internet, here for example) - Read Chapter 10.

My summary
Now Spurgeon seeks to answer the question, 'Why are we saved by faith?'  He cites several reasons:

(i) Faith is naturally a receiver;
(ii) Faith gives all the glory to God;
(iii) Faith is a sure method of linking man with God;
(iv) Faith is chosen again because it touches the springs of action;
(v) Faith has the power of working by love;
(vi) Faith creates peace and joy.

What grabbed me
As we've seen earlier, Spurgeon has a good sense of humility when approaching a subject so great as faith: 'It becomes us to be modest in answering such a question [Why are we saved by faith?].  God's ways are not always to be understood; nor are we allowed to presumptuously question them.  Humbly we would reply that, as far as we can tell, faith has been selected as the channel of grace because faith is naturally adapted to be used as the receiver.'  I think I often need more of Spurgeon's humility when I come to teach doctrine.  A certain cockiness often creeps up that tells me I have truly understood when I may have understood, but not truly.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: