January 1, 2012

Life of Matthew Henry - Williams - IV - Chapter 4

Required reading
The life of Matthew Henry by J. B. Williams (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Chapter 4.

My summary
Today Henry enters into the ministry.

Most of today's reading is taken up with the words of Henry himself from three different documents:
(i) a paper which he designated 'Serious Self examination before Ordination';
(ii) his reasonings for being a non-conformist;
(iii) his confession of faith at ordination.

What grabbed me
The 'Serious Self examination before Ordination' was most interesting reading.

I particularly liked one of the goals Henry had for entering into the ministry: 'I think I can say with as much assurance, that my design is not to get myself a name amongst men, or, to be talked of in the world, as one that makes somewhat a figure. No ; that is a poor business.— If I have but a good name with God, I think I have enough, though among men I be reviled, and have my name trampled upon as mire in the streets. I prefer the good word of my Master far before the good word of my fellow-servants.'

A minister can easily seek to have a good name with man, when what really matters is having a good name with God.

Next week's reading
R
ead Chapter 5.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: