Reformation in Scotland by John Knox, edited by C J Guthrie (Available from Amazon or free here)
Repeated threats of violence toward Knox are made, but he continues to preach despite their animosity.
Yet we also saw that the Reformers had their own struggles in trying to allay the continual desire to destroy Roman Catholic property by mobs.
Meanwhile the Queen continues to favour the Roman Catholics and bring French supporters over to Scotland. The French even divide the Scottish lands up for themselves.
I enjoyed Knox's speech to the other Reformers that feared for his life: 'God is witness that I never preached Christ Jesus in contempt of any man, neither mind I at any time to present myself to that place, having either respect to my own private commodity, or yet to the worldly hurt of any creature. But to delay to preach on the morrow, unless the body be violently withholden, I cannot of conscience. In this Town and Church began God first to call me to the dignity of a preacher, from which I was reft by the tyranny of France, and by procurement of the Bishops, as ye all know. How long I continued prisoner, what torment I sustained in the galleys, and what were the sobs of my heart, is now no time to recite. This only I cannot conceal, which more than one have heard me say, when the body was far absent from Scotland, that my assured hope was, in open audience, to preach in St. Andrews before I departed this life. Therefore, My Lords, seeing that God, above the expectation of many, hath brought the body to the same place where first I was called to the office of a preacher, and from which most unjustly I was removed, I beseech Your Honours not to stop me to present myself unto my brethren. As for the fear of danger that may come to me, let no man be solicitous. My life is in the custody of Him whose glory I seek. Therefore I cannot so fear their boast or tyranny, that I will cease from doing my duty, when of His mercy He offereth me the occasion. I desire the hand or weapon of no man to defend me. Only do I crave audience. Which, if it be denied here unto me at this time, I MUST SEEK FURTHER WHERE I MAY HAVE IT.''
The secret of Knox's courage is that he rightly believed that his life was in the hand of the Lord, not the hands of men.
Read Chapter 1 of Book 3.
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment