A remedy for wandering thoughts in worship by Richard Steele (Available from Heritage Books or free here) - Commence Chapter 6 by reading up to the section with the heading: 'Section IV, Lukewarmness'.
Firstly secret atheism is a major cause of distraction. Steele teaches us that atheism is manifested in the:
(i) head;
(ii) heart;
(iii) life.
Secondly another cause of distraction is the corruption of our nature, that is, of soul and body; so that our inward faculties do act on our outward senses, and they infect our inward faculties in this business.
Thirdly we learn that our unpreparedness for service of God is a cause of distraction.
I always appreciate the reminder that when I sin, I am being an atheist: 'Atheism of the life is described, — " They profess that they know God, but in works they deny him." Titus i. 16. Now these latter originate from the first, and the last is most visible in our distractions : for if thou didst as verily believe God present in an ordinance, as he that sits next thee, durst thou trifle so egregiously as thou dost?'
I am ashamed to admit how often I behave like an atheist.
Next week's reading
Continue Chapter 6 by reading up to the section with the heading: 'Section VI. Weakness of love to Christ and his ordinances'.
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment