August 25, 2012

Ante-Nicene Fathers (Volume 1) - IV - Epistles of Ignatius to the Trallians, Romans and Philadelphians

Required reading
Ante-Nicene Fathers (Volume 1) (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the Epistles of Ignatius to the Trallians, Romans and Philadelphians.

My summary
Today we read more epistles from Ignatius. 

Firstly we read a letter to the Trallians in which Ignatius has a strong emphasis on submission to church leaders: deacons, presbytery and deacons.  There is also a great deal of doctrine about the life of Christ.

Secondly we read a letter to the Romans.  A good portion of this letter is dedicated to Ignatius' desire to be eaten by wild beasts.

Thirdly we read a letter to the Philadelphians.  This letter has similar material to previous ones including various exhortations to live the Christian way of life.

What grabbed me
The desire of Ignatius to be a martyr was a bit troublesome to read: 'I write to all the Churches, and impress on them all, that I shall willingly die for God, unless ye hinder me. I beseech of you not to show an unseasonable good-will towards me. Suffer me to become food for the wild beasts, through whose instrumentality it will be granted me to attain to God. I am the wheat of God, and am ground by the teeth of the wild beasts, that I may be found the pure bread of God. Rather entice the wild beasts, that they may become my tomb, and may leave nothing of my body; so that when I have fallen asleep [in death], I may not be found troublesome to any one. Then shall I be a true disciple of Jesus Christ, when the world shall not see so much as my body. Entreat the Lord for me, that by these instruments I may be found a sacrifice to God...But when I suffer, I shall be the freed-man of Jesus Christ, and shall rise again emancipated in Him. And now, being in bonds for Him, I learn not to desire anything worldly or vain. '

Far better to say with Paul: 'For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me' (Phi 1:21-26).

Next week's reading
Read the Epistles of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, Polycarp; then the Syriac versions of the Ignatian Epistles to Polycarp, and the Second and Third epistles to the Ephesians; and then the Spurious epistles of Ignatius to the Tarsians.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: