August 19, 2012

Reformation in Scotland - Knox - XIX - Chapter 3 of Book 4

Required reading
Reformation in Scotland by John Knox, edited by C J Guthrie (Available from Amazon or free here)
- Read Chapter 3 of Book 4.

My summary
Today John Knox continues to be front and centre in our exploration of the Reformation of Scotland.

We hear about Knox meeting with the Earl of Bothwell and the Earl of Arran in an effort to promote peace between them.  We also read of a plot of treason against the Queen.

An account is also given of another meeting between Knox and the Queen, in which he 'was called and accused, as one that had irreverently spoken of the Queen, and that travailled to bring her into hatred and contempt of the people, and that he had exceeded the bounds of his text.'

What grabbed me
I always enjoy Knox's speeches to royalty: 'I am called, Madam, to a public function within the Church of God, and am appointed by God to rebuke the sins and vices of all. I am not appointed to come to every man in particular to show him his offence ; for that labour were infinite. If Your Grace please to frequent the public sermons, then doubt I not but you shall fully understand both what I like and mislike, as well in Your Majesty as in all others. Or, if Your Grace will assign unto me a certain day and hour when it will please you to hear the substance of the doctrine which is proponed in public to the Churches of this Realm, I will most gladly await upon Your Grace's pleasure, time and place.'


Knox doesn't discriminate - he condemns sin in everyone, including the nobility.

Next week's reading
Read Chapter 4 of Book 4.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: