September 16, 2012

Making many glad - Baker - I - Preface, Chapter 1

Required reading
--> Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the Preface and Chapter 1.

My summary
Today we begin a new work about the minister Daniel Baker.

The preface introduces us to the author, William Baker, a son of Daniel Baker.

Then in Chapter One we are firstly given a family history of Baker, which is followed by an account of his birth, childhood and teenage years.  Among other things, we hear about his:
(i) parents' death;
(ii) first religious experiences including what appears to be his conversion;
(iii) employment as a clerk;
(iv) living conditions and bad companions;
(v) desire to go into the ministry and opportunity to do so on a college scholarship.

What grabbed me

I was particularly struck by Baker's account of his desperation to own a Bible: 'I wanted a Bible to read, particularly at night; but I had neither Bible nor Testament, nor was there one in the house. O, I would be willing to give almost any thing in the world for a Bible! What was to be done'? There was a bookstore in the city, and there were Bibles and Testaments there, but a companion of mine was there as clerk; and how could I brave his ridicule. Night after night I thought I would certainly muster courage, but when the next day came, my courage failed. One night, however, I was in a kind of agony because I had no Bible or Testament; and I then firmly resolved that I would, at all hazard, purchase one the next day. The day came, and as we are told, it required uncommon resolution to pass certain forms, seated, as it is fabled, at the gate of Elysium; so it seemed almost too much for me to look Mills in the face, and from him to buy a Testament; but I had firmly resolved, and buy a Testament I would. In pursuance of this resolution, after breakfast, bracing my courage up, I boldly entered the store, and said, "Mills, have you any Testaments for sale?" but quickly added, "But I don't want it for myself." What a wonder the Spirit of God did not leave me that moment!'

How blessed I am to have always had easy access to Bibles.

Next week's reading
Commence Chapter Two
by reading up to the paragraph beginning: 'Sunday, April 19th, 1812.  This day arose somewhat earlier than usual....'

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: