September 23, 2012

Making many glad - Baker - II - Chapter 2 commenced

Required reading
Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) - Commence Chapter 2 by reading up to the paragraph beginning: 'Sunday, April 19th, 1812.  This day arose somewhat earlier than usual....'

My summary
Now Baker discusses his studies to be a minister.

Firstly we read about his struggles with Latin and his mulling over when he was converted.

We then begin reading excerpts from his diary which includes his:
(i) resolutions;
(ii) prayer life;
(iii) excitement over the state of Christianity in the East Indies;
(iv) first communion.

What grabbed me

I enjoyed reading Baker's resolutions.

Particularly this resolution: 'Resolved, That I much too highly estimate my oratorical attainments; that I am too fond of, and too apt to court, vulgar applause; that I will endeavour to think meanly of myself, and make it my supreme object to obtain the approbating smiles of my God, and that of my own conscience.'

A good resolution for every pastor.

Next week's reading
Conclude Chapter 2
.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: