September 9, 2012

Reformation in Scotland - Knox - XXII - Chapters 6 & 7 of Book 4

Required reading
Reformation in Scotland by John Knox, edited by C J Guthrie (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Chapters 6 and 7 of Book 4.

My summary
Today we conclude Knox's history of the Reformation in Scotland.

At the beginning of Chapter Six, the Queen is subdued due to Guise trouble in France.  But then she begins to trip around Scotland and celebrate the Mass.  John Knox then writes a letter encouraging the brethren to assemble on a certain day to assist him in defending some Protestants from Papist persecution.  John Knox is subsequently put on trial for treason because of the letter and much of the chapter is dedicated to these proceedings.  The end result is that 'The Lords voted uniformly that they could find no offence' much to the Queen's disgust.

Chapter Seven is concerned with the General Assembly of 1563 which affirmed Knox's actions.

The book then ends somewhat abruptly.  The footnote indicates that Knox was not able to continue his history due to his death.

What grabbed me
I enjoyed the dialogue at Knox's trial. 

Particularly this part:

'Knox.  'I understand not, Master, what ye mean. I never made myself an adversary party to the Queen's Majesty, except in the head of religion ; and therein I think ye will not desire me to bow.' 
Maxwell, ' Well, ye are wise enough ; but ye will find that men will not bear with you in times to come, as they have done in times past.' 
Knox. 'If God stand my friend, as I am assured He of His mercy will, so long as I depend upon His promise, and prefer His glory to my life and worldly profit, I little regard how men behave themselves towards me. Neither yet know I wherein any man hath borne with me in times past, unless it be that of my mouth they have heard the Word of God, which in times to come, if they refuse, my heart will be pierced, and for a season will lament ; but the incommodity will be their own.'
'

One thing that strikes you again and again about Knox is that he never appeared to struggle with fear of man.


Next week's reading
Commence 'Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker' by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) by reading the Preface and Chapter 1.


Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: