This week Perkins examines the renewal of Isaiah's commission in Isaiah 6:5-9.
Perkins shows us that it involves three things:
(i) A question asked by God: 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?';
(ii) The answer of the prophet, 'Here am I! Send me';
(iii) The renewal of his commission: The Lord said, 'Go, and tell this people...'
Perkins made some great points about the calling of a minister.
I also like his encouragement to students: 'Theological students in universities should pay careful attention to the prophet's answer. It is not 'I will be ready', but 'Here am I'. Why does he [Isaiah] not take a longer time? Because he was already sufficiently qualified. Learn from this not to linger and loiter too long in speculative studies. Rather, when you are adequately furnished with learning and other qualities appropriate to your calling, show yourselves willing and ready to serve the church, whenever you are called. An apple can hang too long on the tree as well as be picked too soon. Both make it unfit for use. In a similar way many wait too long, just as others go out too soon. Both ways are unprofitable, or at least less profitable to the church.'
There's a tension between spending not enough time at college and too much time at college. Finding the balance can be tricky, but it must be done.
Commence
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment