February 17, 2013

Making many glad - Baker - XXIII - Chapter 12 (Founding of Austin College - Labours as an evangelist, and as an agent of the college) concluded

Required reading
Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) - Conclude Chapter 12 (Founding of Austin College - Labours as an evangelist, and as an agent of the college).

My summary
Today we hear about Baker's first two tours to raise money for Austin College.

William Baker says it is vain to attempt to list the numerous places Daniel Baker traveled preaching and asking for donations.

However Baker does give a summary of his first tour with the words: ' During this tour, amongst other places, I visited Houston, Galveston, New Orleans, Memphis, Cin- cinnati, Philadelphia, Wilkesbarre, Princeton, New York, Albany, Easton, New Brunswick, Newark, Brooklyn, Wilmington, Washington City, Baltimore, Georgetown, Savannah, Augusta, Freehold, and Mo- bile. On this tour I obtained books, maps, globes, and subscriptions in money to the amount of four thousand one hundred and sixty-five dollars.'

And as for his second tour, Baker gives the following summary: ' I entered upon my second tour early in the year 1851, and, gleaning a little more in Houston, Galveston, New Orleans, Mobile, and some other places where I had been before, I visited in Mississippi
Vicksburg, Jackson, Yazoo City, Canton, Columbus ; in Tennessee — Memphis, Somerville, Raleigh, Belmont, Bethany Church, Denmark, Zion Church, Nashville, Clarkesville ; in Kentucky — Louisville, Frankfort, Lexington ; in Missouri — St. Louis ; in Maryland — Baltimore ; in Texas — Centreville, Leona, St. Marks, San Antonio, Danville. The amount of subscriptions obtained this year, paid and not paid, exclusive of books, amounted to nearly four thousand dollars. Upon my return, and during the winter, I went twice to San Antonio.'

What grabbed me
We were treated to another one of Baker's maxims today: 'I am in the hands of a Being who is infinitely wise and good, and, as the saying is, ' I am immortal till my work is done.''

That's Calvinism through and through!

Next week's reading
Commence Chapter 13 (Third and fourth tours as agent of Austin College) by reading up to the paragraph commencing 'Others may be better able than the compiler of this volume, to estimate to what degree young men entering the church, and, afterward, the ministry, under such auspices as these, would form their idea and fix their standard of preaching thereby ; to what degree the preacher would reproduce himself in ministers whom he was made the means of leading to Christ.'

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: