March 5, 2013

Institutes of Christian religion - Calvin - XXXVIII - Chapters 6 & 7 of Book 3

Required reading
Institutes of Christian religion by John Calvin (Available from
Amazon or free here) - Read Chapters 6 and 7 of Book 3.

My summary
This week we begin to read Calvin's teaching on the life of a Christian. 

His aim for the following chapters is expressed with these words: 'My intention, however, in the plan of life which I now propose to give, is not to extend it so far as to treat of each virtue specially, and expatiate in exhortation. This must be sought in the writings of others, and particularly in the Homilies of the Fathers. For me it will be sufficient to point out the method by which a pious man may be taught how to frame his life aright, and briefly lay down some universal rule by which he may not improperly regulate his conduct.'

Thus in Chapter Six, Calvin tells us that the Scripture system of which he speaks aims at two objects:
(i) that the love of righteousness may be instilled and implanted into our minds;
(ii) to prescribe a rule which will prevent us from going astray.

We are then exhorted to live righteously because:
(i) God is holy;
(ii) we have been reconciled and have God's image upon us.

Then in Chapter Seven, Calvin gives us instructions on how to live in total devotion to God so that denying ourselves we seek his glory, not our own.

What grabbed me
I appreciated the reminder that I am not my own: 'We are not our own; therefore, neither is our own reason or will to rule our acts and counsels. We are not our own; therefore, let us not make it our end to seek what may be agreeable to our carnal nature. We are not our own; therefore, as far as possible, let us forget ourselves and the things that are ours. On the other hand, we are God’s; let us, therefore, live and die to him (Rom. 14:8). We are God’s; therefore, let his wisdom and will preside over all our actions. We are God’s; to him, then, as the only legitimate end, let every part of our life be directed. O how great the proficiency of him who, taught that he is not his own, has withdrawn the dominion and government of himself from his own reason that he may give them to God! For as the surest source of destruction to men is to obey themselves, so the only haven of safety is to have no other will, no other wisdom, than to follow the Lord wherever he leads. '

If I belong to someone else, I must make sure I follow the instructions of the person that I belong. 

I am not free to govern my own life according to my own desires.

Next week's reading
Read Chapters 8 and 9
of Book 3.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: