Only a prayer meeting by Charles Spurgeon (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the chapters entitled 'The steam-roller and the stone-roller' and 'Two common dangers'.
Then Spurgeon warns us of two common dangers:
(i) getting harm from others;
(ii) doing mischief to others.
I appreciated hearing Spurgeon's thoughts on the consumption of alcohol: 'I see that great objection has been taken to my warning you not to be partakers of other men's sins by setting an example in the matter of drink, which it would be unsafe for others to follow. I thought that I put the case very temperately. I neither said nor implied that it was sinful to drink wine; nay, I said that, in and by itself, this might be done without blame. But I remarked that, if I knew that another would be led to take it by my example, and this would lead him on to further drinking, and even to intoxication, then I would not touch it. I did not urge abstinence as a duty to one's self, as I might have done; but I gently placed it on the footing of concern for the welfare of others. I thought every Christian man would agree to this. I did not make it a matter of law, but of love. I set forth no doctrine of salvation by meats and drinks, and I laid no ban upon the exercise of your liberty. I did, however, entreat you not to endanger others by an inexpedient use of things lawful. It was saying no more than Paul meant when he said, " If meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no meat while the world standeth."'
Alcohol is not evil in itself, but if it leads ourselves or others into evil, we would be better to abstain.
Next week's reading
Read the chapters entitled 'A little sermon from the painter's brazier' and 'A life-belt for daily use'.
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment