April 4, 2013

Only a prayer meeting - Spurgeon - XXI - 'Preaching to sinners' & 'A full Christ for empty sinners and saints'

--> Required reading
Only a prayer meeting by Charles Spurgeon (Available from Amazon or free here) - Commence Section IV. Miscellaneous Addresses by reading the chapters entitled 'Preaching to sinners' and 'A full Christ for empty sinners and saints'.

My summary
Firstly this week Spurgeon encourages ministers not only to preach doctrines of grace, but also invite sinners to Christ.

Then Spurgeon speaks about:
(i) the emptiness of sinners;
(ii) the fullness of Christ.

What grabbed me
I liked this comment about Christ: 'I do not think we know much about Christ yet; at any rate, we who are but beginners in the things of God. Some of our elder brethren may know more; but I think I know enough to say that, probably, he knows most of Christ who has discovered most of his own empti­ness; that, in proportion as we go down, Christ goes up; and as we see more and more of the deep depravity of our own hearts, we shall see more and more of the amazing excellence of the person and work of our Lord Jesus Christ.'

If you want to know more of Christ, learn more of your depravity.

Next week's reading

Read the chapters entitled 'Steal away to Jesus' and 'An address to Sunday-School teachers'.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: