April 22, 2013

The Fundamentals - Torrey - LXV - Chapter 26 (Tributes to Christ and the Bible by brainy men not known as active Christians)

Required reading
The Fundamentals edited by R. A. Torrey (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Chapter 26 (Tributes to Christ and the Bible by brainy men not known as active Christians).


My summary
Today's reading is simply a collection of quotes about Christ from the following famous people:
(i) Benjamin Franklin;
(ii) Thomas Jefferson;
(iii) Daniel Webster;
(iv) Ralph Waldo Emerson;
(v) Napoleon Bonaparte;
(vi) Goethe;
(vii) Thomas Carlyle;
(viii) James Anthony Froude;
(ix) Charles Dickens;
(x) Shakespeare;
(xi) Lord Byron;
(xii) Matthew Arnold;
(xiii) Diderot;
(xiv) Professor Huxley;
(xv) John Stuart Mill;
(xvi) Rousseau;
(xvii) Pecaut;
(xviii) Ernest Renan;
(xix) Benjamin Disraeli.

What grabbed me
An odd chapter. 

And I'm a bit surprised that most of the quotes aren't referenced.

I found the quotes from Dickens and Shakespeare the most interesting:
'CHARLES DICKENS IN HIS WILL.  "I commit my soul to the mercy of God, through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and exhort my dear children humbly to try to guide themselves by the teachings of the New Testament" 

SHAKESPEARE IN HIS WILL.  "I commend my soul into the hands of God, my Creator, hoping and assuredly believing, through the only merits of Jesus Christ my Saviour, to be made partaker of life everlasting."
'

Next week's reading
Commence Volume IV by reading
Chapter 1 (Modern Philosophy).

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: