Required reading
Thoughts on public prayer by Samuel Miller (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read the Dedication and Chapter 1 up to the paragraph commencing 'In regard to the best preparation for leading in social, and especially in public prayer, there are two things worthy of particular notice...'
My summary
Today we start a new book on the ministry. This one is on public prayer.
The first part of the introduction which we read today is an apology for writing the book.
The author defends the importance of both types of pulpit work - preaching and prayer.
Miller then points out that there is a need for books on pulpit prayer as there is already a plethora of books on pulpit preaching.
What grabbed me
I think Miller was right to comment: ' It would be difficult to estimate the amount that has been written, by Presbyterians as weII as others, concerning the composition and delivery of sermons. Lectures and volumes almost innumerable, have been lavished on this subject; and, in pursuance of their instruction, nothing is more common than to bestow unwearied labour on the preparation of discourses for the pulpit. But how much less of the nature of counsel seems to have been given to candidates for the holy ministry, to aid them in the acceptable performance of public prayer ! And how much less attention seems to be bestowed on the part of those candidates, on this whole subject !'
I do read a fair bit, and I must admit I have read only a few books on public prayer.
So I'm really looking forward to reading this one.
Next week's reading
Conclude Chapter 1.
Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment