April 21, 2013

Making many glad - Baker - XXXII - Chapter 15 (Closing scenes) concluded

--> Required reading
Making many glad: The life and labours of Daniel Baker by William M. Baker (Available from Amazon or free here) - Conclude Chapter 15 (Closing scenes).

My summary
Today we hear about Baker's last week, including his:
(i) failing heart;
(ii) last sermon;
(iii) last letter;
(iv) last appeal for funds for the college;
(v) last evening with children and grandchildren;
(vi) last request;
(vii) last words.

What grabbed me
It was encouraging to read Baker's last request: 'Just before, in the course of conversation, his father had said to him, " William, my son, if I should die, I want this epitaph carved on my tomb — 'Here lies Daniel Baker, Preacher of the Gospel. A Sinner saved by Grace.' Remember," he added, "A Sinner saved by Grace."'

Even though God used him mightily, Baker had no misunderstanding about who he was - a sinner saved by grace.

If only all of us may have such an understanding of ourselves.

Next week's reading
Commence '
Grace abounding to the chief of sinners' by John Bunyan (Available from Amazon or free here) by reading the Preface and Verses 1-36.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

2 comments:

CJ said...

I'm a bit behind on my readings, but still following along!

I greatly enjoyed this work! My father's people are from the area around where Rev. Baker preached, and I wonder if he is responsible for my godly grandmother and her forebears. I shall find out in heaven. :)

May I take from this work what the author exhorted us to at the end, fresh impulse in the service of my Master, and a spirit of the same joyful surrender to His perfect will that so embodied Rev. Baker's life.

Joel Radford said...

Baker certainly was a great example of tireless energy for the Lord.

Good to know you were inspired by his example like I was, CJ.