May 19, 2013

Grace abounding to the chief of sinners - John Bunyan - IV - Verses 180-252

--> Required reading
Grace abounding to the chief of sinners by John Bunyan (Available from Amazon or free here) - Read Verses 180 to 252.

My summary
This week Bunyan continues to struggle with his 'unpardonable sin'.

Firstly Bunyan speaks of his conversation with an 'ancient Christian' who agreed that Bunyan may have committed the 'unpardonable sin', and so of course he was no help to Bunyan.

Then we witness Bunyan go through further cycles of being encouraged by a text and then being discouraged by Satan.

Finally Bunyan comes to the realisation that he has not committed the unforgivable sin.  He exposits the passages that troubled him previously and demonstrates that his sin does not fit with what is condemned and that Christ's righteousness is his righteousness.

Then Bunyan provides reasons why he went through such an ordeal and how God used the temptation for his gain.

What grabbed me
It was refreshing to see Bunyan finally find relief for his troubled soul.

I enjoyed his description of Christ's righteousness: 'But one day, as I was passing in the field, and that too with some dashes on my conscience, fearing lest yet all was not right, suddenly this sentence fell upon my soul, Thy righteousness is in heaven; and methought withal, I saw, with the eyes of my soul, Jesus Christ at God’s right hand; there, I say, is my righteousness; so that wherever I was, or whatever I was a-doing, God could not say of me, He wants my righteousness, for that was just before Him. I also saw, moreover, that it was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better, nor yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse; for my righteousness was Jesus Christ Himself, the same yesterday, and to-day, and for ever (Heb. 13.8). '

Our right standing before God is not based on us, but upon Christ.

Next week's reading
Read
Verses 253 to 317.

Now it's your turn
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments: