We learn about his:
(i) first experience of the Lord's supper;
(ii) a time of illness and self examination;
(iii) encouragement from the church to be a minister;
(iv) perceived unworthiness for the ministry;
(v) results from his preaching;
(vi) changes to his preaching style;
(vii) reaction of ministers to his preaching;
(viii) slanders against him;
(ix) fidelity to his wife.
I was interested to hear about Bunyan's struggles in preaching: 'Again, when as sometimes I have been about to preach upon some smart and scorching portion of the Word, I have found the tempter suggest, What, will you preach this? this condemns yourself; of this your own soul is guilty; wherefore preach not of it at all; or if you do, yet so mince it as to make way for your own escape; lest instead of awakening others, you lay that guilt upon your own soul as you will never get from under. '
Satan will often try to shame preachers into keeping their mouths closed.
Read
Please post your own notes and thoughts in the comments section below.
No comments:
Post a Comment